Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Snow Day

For most of you reading this post you're surrounded by at least 8 inches of snow (with some ice layered in the middle). It's a level 3 snow emergency so you can't do much...few errands, few meetings, few schedules. Just unplanned, unanticipated (seriously, it was unanticipated...when do you ever believe the forecasts on TV?) time off.

When God prescribed time off each week he knew what He was doing...imagine that. And I don't believe that the New Testament trumps the responsibility we have to practice a Sabbath. Arguably Sunday isn't the Sabbath...I'll give you that. But I believe completely that God wants each of us to take some time to rest and relax. Days like today just remind me of that. As I look ahead and feel the pressure of our Ministers/Elders Retreat this weekend and 11-day trip to Idaho after that, it reminds me that time off and Sabbath rest is a test of whether or not I truly trust that God can take care of things without my help and my time. Pretty sure He can. But I need to be reminded.

So we'll see what gets finished...and what doesn't. But when the girls get up from their nap I'm going to enjoy them playing outside in their first real snow. Do the same. Rest. That's an order...well, a command(ment) anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment