Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Words

We're talking more these days about a discipleship path that will help people in their journey. People use language that can be an indicator of where they are in their discipleship. Jesus himself said that "out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." James also talked about the dangers of the tongue and that we (as Christ-followers) should be quicker to listen than to speak.

As a leader, it is a challenge to develop that skill set. Not just knowing what to do with what people say...but being quiet long enough to let them say anything at all. I like to be heard. I like to have the last word. Sometimes, I like the dependence...it's the devilish thing that still needs to be redeemed in me.

It's also a lack of love. It is much more loving and anti-egocentric to let someone else speak while I listen. I'm trying to let the Holy Spirit work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment