Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Rhythms

Sometimes I wonder about the rhythm that I keep.  It seems very different than what it used to be as I was growing up.  At that time it seemed that my entire family and I had more of a daily rhythm.  Perhaps it was because we lived in a very small, rural town.  Perhaps it was just a simpler time.  But it seemed that we counted by days when I was growing up and things were scheduled by the day.

Now it seems that my entire family and I have more of a weekly rhythm.  Perhaps it is because we live in a large, suburban area.  Perhaps it is just a more complex time.  But it seems that we count now by the week and have to schedule things in a seven day block because the individual days in that block simply don't have enough combined hours.

You would rightly argue that God is the one who designed the weekly rhythm.  But it seems that He created the entire world in six days and then spent a day in rest.  I usually get through six days, let stuff spill over into the seventh and then move on to the eighth and following days without much of breath.  That was not God's design.

One of our Next Steps this past weekend was to plan a "Matthew Party" to which you would invite people to your house this week for a party.  I thought, "That won't fit into this week...or next...how about 3 1/2 weeks from now...does that work?"  That's the part that I don't remember from my years growing up.  If you had told me that we were going to do something 4 weeks from today as a kid, it would have simply felt like forever.  Now I wonder if there is enough time in 4 weeks to make it work.

So maybe my rhythm is just off.  Maybe my family is busier than yours...but I really don't think so.  I think I've missed an important element in rest and recognizing today for what it is.

I don't have a neat way to tie this post up with a bow.  I'm just praying that God will show me His Rhythm.  I don't want to miss the melody of life in Him simply because I can't keep tempo.  God's movement is a movement you don't rush.

Hebrews 3:13 - But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment