Friday, February 19, 2010

A Quote I've Read Again Recently

I reread a quote recently that always strikes a deep cord within me.  This is an excerpt from The Present Future by Reggie McNeal:

The difference between planning and preparedness is more than semantics in the biblical teaching.  God does the planning; we do the preparing.  It is God who declares: "I know the plans I have for you," he says in Jeremiah 29:11.  He does not say, "I am waiting for you to develop plans I can bless."  I am not against planning.  I am just suggesting that there is a dimension beyond planning that is critical for us to understand.  We can settle for our imaginations, our plans, and our dreams.  In fact, I think the North American church has done just that.  We have the best churches people can plan and build. But we are desperate for God to show up and do something that only he can get credit for.  God wants us to pray and to prepare for his intervention.

God knows, we need it.

I pray about this for us at Parkside every day - that God would reveal His Kingdom to us rather than us trying to assert our kingdom on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment